New TV Clouding

Caporegime
Hi Guys

Just bought a Samsung UE46ES6710 and i love the TV but i think i have been unlucky and got one with fairly bad screen uniformity.

I only had it delivered on Friday, so i am thinking about asking John Lewis to send a replacement.

Would you guys consider this unnacceptable? It can be noticeable when watching some films in the dark

Backlight at 100%

DSCN1590_zps9ace8aa1.jpg

Backlight at 50%

DSCN1591_zpsf6987f2c.jpg

Backlight at 100% , different iso setting on camera

DSCN1588_zps7453f8e7.jpg

Also, no " should have bought a Plasma" as this is a replacement for a Panasonic Plasma that i simply didnt like at all :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I'd not be happy with that. You'll get a better panel next time.

This is what i am hoping. It cant get much worse than that can it!? :p

I understand it is a limitation of edge lit LED TV's and i could put up with a little bit of edge bleeding but some of those patches can be really noticable sometimes.

Caporegime
OP
You must have really hated that Panasonic!

Well the Plasma had other gremlins that annoyed me.(dithering,buzzing,had a dead pixel (i know this could happen to any tv though), dull whites e.t.c) - i think i am just more of an LED person. I like bright fake,vibrant colours :p

If i can just get a set of this model that has a fairly uniform screen ( i am not expecting perfection) i will be happy. I think i will ask for a replacement set and hope i get one that is better.

Last edited:
Soldato
you wont get a uniform screen with an LED, just variations of what you have there, dreadful clouding...but that looks awfall, i'd be quite cross if i saw that at night...i'd really flip my lid :mad:

imagine playing DOOM 3 on that rubbish tv !

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
you wont get a uniform screen with an LED, just variations of what you have there, dreadful clouding...but that looks awfall, i'd be quite cross if i saw that at night...i'd really flip my lid :mad:

imagine playing DOOM 3 on that rubbish tv !

Well,i can accept a bit, but this is really noticable when watching things in low light.

I have the BBC Planet Earth blu ray set and on the opening menu for that where the sun moves across the pitch black earth you can see the patches.

Caporegime
OP
Going to get a replacement sent :) Hopefully this one will be better, i dont mind a little corner bleed but not cloudy bright patches everywhere.

John Lewis were very understanding and willing to send out a replacement so fingers crossed.

Soldato
no tech is perfect, even a near perfect Panasonic has faults, you see flickers of screen noise...shimmering, odd colours as the screen pans quickly, the eye detects faults all the time but you cant understand what they are, but they do distract you.

because all the faults in my Panny ST 50 are when there's fast movement, but the image is near perfect if the screen pans slowly.

my last sony Bravia RPTV had no motion faults at all, the image wasn't as sharp, such great contrast, but it was a million times more stable.

is there anything i'd change ?... yes i'd reduce this obsession with black levels and concentrate on stable movement, because in my opinion the blacks are too black :eek:....black is always very dark grey in real life and the further away the lighter it gets...

Caporegime
OP
no tech is perfect, even a near perfect Panasonic has faults, you see flickers of screen noise...shimmering, odd colours as the screen pans quickly, the eye detects faults all the time but you cant understand what they are, but they do distract you.

because all the faults in my Panny ST 50 are when there's fast movement, but the image is near perfect if the screen pans slowly.

my last sony Bravia RPTV had no motion faults at all, the image wasn't as sharp, such great contrast, but it was a million times more stable.

is there anything i'd change ?... yes i'd reduce this obsession with black levels and concentrate on stable movement, because in my opinion the blacks are too black :eek:....black is always very dark grey in real life and the further away the lighter it gets...

True, i need to stop obsessing. To be honestm i don't think the clouding could get much worse than the set i already have so hopefully asking for a replacement wont be a bad idea!

Soldato

You do realise that the reason movement looks different on Plasma is because you're actually seeing the full motion resolution right? Where's on an LCD/LED backlit display the motion resolution is crap so it gets blurred.

Caporegime
OP
So the second one arrived today...

DSCN1637.jpg

DSCN1634.jpg

DSCN1632.jpg

:rolleyes:

Had enough. Im just going to get a refund and not bother with a new TV. Everything sub £1000 is clearly *****.

Perhaps full array LED is the way to go? Or maybe I should just wait a few years until OLED is more affordable/available.

Last edited:
Soldato
get a plasma, because waiting a year for OLED isn't enough time, it'll be still way too expensive by then, plus might not work well enough!!!!!!

OLED feels about right in 3 years time :eek::eek:

my guess is :- a 4k Panny plasma will be just as good, as long as they resolve these fast movement faults; that this tv clearly has.....and never mentioned in the reviews.

Caporegime
OP
get a plasma, because waiting a year for OLED isn't enough time, it'll be still way too expensive by then, plus might not work well enough!!!!!!

OLED feels about right in 3 years time :eek::eek:

my guess is :- a 4k Panny plasma will be just as good, as long as they resolve these fast movement faults; that this tv clearly has.....and never mentioned in the reviews.

I just can't beleive that the clouding is so bad. A bit of edge bleeding is fina and was expected but to have actual patches all over the screen and severe flashlighting in the corners is just not good enough in my opinion.

Plasma is an option but i tried a Plasma before this one but didnt like the buzzing, and the dull whites.

There must be LED's with better screen uniformity than the ones i have had.

Soldato
That really is the worst clouding ive seen, pretty shocking stuff. I went away from LCD some years ago because of this issue, although I only had a bit of edge bleed from my Panasonic LCD.

That TV is defo faulty so dont be put off by all LCDs, they are getting better but I still prefer a plasma.

A decent plasma shouldnt have dull whites, yes they may buzz slightly but no more then any big TV ive seen.

Caporegime
OP
One thing i have been thinking about is whether this is actually the weather/John Lewis's fault.

Both TV's when opened have felt very slightly moist and you can see a slight layer of "mist" on the screen. I wonder if they have been subject to too much condensation and that has affected the backlight reflectors in some way?

I am getting a full refund as i cant keep wasting my time sending tvs back, and i will probably just get one that is exactly the same.

Associate
Probably where it was stored in the van over night , freezing cold and when opened in a nice warm place the air condenses and forms on the surfaces of the screen. Unless you mean the box etc was damp then that would be bad news!

Shame to have these issues QC from these big companies needs to be much better, It's almost like the 80's again where anything made in the far east is well ****.

Soldato
all LEDs will suffer from backlight clouding, but those photos above are pretty bad.

my new plasma still has text image retention after gaming and there's nothing i can do about it, i cant send this 2nd tv back, i just have to wait for it to fade or use the scroll bar, but i do find it very annoying...

My plasma has whites that are too bright, it's only on 50% but yes it does buzz.

the Panny plasma in my opinion is the best but it's still pretty bad, its motion artifacts are quite poor, it's nowhere near as good as my last RPTV or the old CRT..

i.e you see....blurred snooker balls/ footballs, blured smudged faces, red and green bands in the flesh.....the list of things you see is endless.

the tv gets brilliant reviews.....bloody hell they must be blind :mad: you cant possibly miss its motion faults.

Back
Top Bottom