STINSON RELIANT SR9...

JOAN

Hi all,

Here is my current build with a Stinson SR9.

The base is the 1/48 AMT :

ESCI4104-2T.jpg

I have decided to make the fuselage "strip down" and to mix with the kit parts.

Starting with the fantastic "Wylam" drawings, I intend to make a floatplane. The SR9 floats are a set of EDO 39-4000.

This floats will be made from scratch.

Starting with the fuselage structure :

IMG_1227low_zpsf62ce37b.jpg

IMG_1281low_zps3f0fd11b.jpg

IMG_1283low_zps050843c1.jpg

The fuselage is a SR8 one.( my first choice, so I need to modify a little the front structure to make a SR9 adaptation - It was the same modifications on the real airplane....)

First mix with kit parts test fitting.....

IMG_1284low_zps32255372.jpg

IMG_1285low_zps3650e6e9.jpg

IMG_1286low_zps8b6a60dd.jpg

IMG_1288low_zps42d25553.jpg

IMG_1293low_zps424cf6f7.jpg

IMG_1292low_zps7cb30bc5.jpg

Several questions anyway :

- how to make the EDO's ? ( thanks to the britmodeller who post the infos about the Staggerwing ...)

- the engine is quite poor in details : where to find a lycoming R680 or a Wright R760 ?

- The weight of the wings is not suitable with the light and fragile fuselage structure : I need to use wing brace as mechanical strucure....let see !

so WIP !

cheers

olivier

Edited by JOAN
  • Like 2

Looking very promising! My first rc plane was a Reliant so I would like to build this myself. Besides what you've described in your post how is the kit parts looking? Would it be an acceptable model with kit parts?

Looking forward to seeing more progress!

/Erik

Thanks for your help and comments.

Erik, the kit is nice and accurate. To be honest I build the structure fuselage aside of the kit who were store far from my house : the junction is great and the wing chord is similar to the drawings. Of course it is not a Tamigawa for details and as usual with injection process some internal parts are underscaled.( due to the fuselage thickness...).

John, thanks for the advise. That was my first idea : build a strong structure between wings and floats.

let's work !

olivier