Tiger Moth on Float's

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

SoDH, Knowing of the owner, and his ways, I dare say it was his own personal conversion. From memory there was no nose/motor mount extention and as it was only three seats. I can still picture him giving joy rides at a local regatter, and again relying on a fadeing memory the seats were steel and of the kitchen table variety.

Member for

19 years 9 months

:eek: Great and interesting stuff ;)

Member for

16 years 2 months

G-AIVW also carried a nice blue colour scheme when I last saw her at Newcastle in 1958 before she was sold. She carried the "Throttle Benders" badge on the nose at this time and had just won the King's Cup air race with Jamed Denier as pilot.
Anybody got a photo of her in this guise?
Jim

Member for

17 years 8 months

A brief extract from a new book on the Tiger Moth which will appear shortly..........;)

"....G-AIVW had won the Kings Cup Air Race in 1958. After service with the Newcastle Aero Club, it was acquired by Tiger Club ‘Patron’ Norman Jones and fitted with floats which had originally been installed on an Aeronca Sedan.

The ‘Sea Tiger’ was named ‘Oswald Short’ in honour of the pioneering seaplane builder and made its first flight in 1963. For almost two decades the aeroplane introduced pilots to the joys and challenges of floatplane flying, both from the sea off the South Coast of England, and later to limit the corrosive effects of salt-water operations, from a lake near Lydd in Kent."

Sadly the Sea Tiger is no more. The aeroplane was lost in an accident in 1983, thankfully survived by its occupants. Since then no other Sea Tigers have been operated in the UK, although in Finland, the USA and Canada, owners have successfully flown examples with modern lightweight GRP floats which detract less from the aeroplane’s performance and handling.

“The Sea Tiger was never the best-handling float plane” says Keith Sissons, who instructed pilots on the aeroplane’s idiosyncrasies. “The large floats meant that she wasn’t dynamically stable and you had to work continuously to maintain balance in the turns and avoid side-slipping.

“So saying, she trained literally dozens of floatplane pilots during her time. We had great fun. Perhaps one day, it might inspire another Sea Tiger to take to the water - and the air - again in the UK. There’s nothing to beat messing about on floats!”

(All pics from the deHMC archive)
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/kingpinmedia/04c_01SeaTiger.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/kingpinmedia/04c_08LunchatGatorJoes.jpg
G-ERDS, has operated on floats for the past year or so in Florida. It has now been reconverted back to a landplane and the floats are currently for sale.... anyone wanting to make an offer?

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/kingpinmedia/04c_05March1932floatplanetrials.jpg
This is a very early Tiger Moth, circa 1932, on sea trials as a possible RAF floatplane trainer.It was never taken up......

Member for

16 years 11 months

G-AIVW also carried a nice blue colour scheme when I last saw her at Newcastle in 1958 before she was sold. She carried the "Throttle Benders" badge on the nose at this time and had just won the King's Cup air race with Jamed Denier as pilot.
Anybody got a photo of her in this guise?
Jim

In her early life as the Sea Tiger she also sported a yellow colour scheme as shown in the attached photos - one taken as she was being trundled to the slipway at Lee on Solent and the other sitting pretty in the water - I'm not sure where.

Wicked Willip :diablo:

Attachments

Member for

16 years 2 months

In her early life as the Sea Tiger she also sported a yellow colour scheme as shown in the attached photos - one taken as she was being trundled to the slipway at Lee on Solent and the other sitting pretty in the water - I'm not sure where.

Wicked Willip :diablo:

She was in this yellow c/s when I last saw her flying near Cowes in August 1964
Jim