Tiger Moth on Float's

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 9 months

Looking at very beautiful bright red Tiger Moth :D ,

On float's(float's red too, with white stripe, and white prop, red tip's)

Sitting on a Lake I think, Reg look's to be, G-AIVW

Doe's she still survive in flying order :confused: , and was there any other Tiger Moth's on float's

Thank's in advance if anyone can help ;) :rolleyes:

It's in one of me old book's, that I got in about the late 7O's, and I hardly look at much now day's, but it doe's have some great picture's :eek: .

The Pictorial History of Aircraft, In full Colour, by David Mondey, ISBN 0 907407 10 2, 1975

Original post

Member for

19 years 1 month

Sadly G-AIVW was crashed some years ago, she was cartwheeled across a lake with much damage. I belive the remains are still about but as to the current position i dont know, maybe someone on here will know her currnt state.

Member for

20 years 2 months

DH Moth Sk 9H

Here is an example in the RSwAF Museum at Linköping, Swedish designation Sk 9H (Trainer) - donated to the Museum in 1984 by the Swedish Air Force Museum Foundation in connection with the inauguration of the first display hall.

Member for

20 years 4 months

G-AIVW was operated by the Tiger Club from a lake at Rye. Unfortunately, it was spun-in off a tight turn at Camber Sands and the remains are now with the 'Robertsbridge Aviation Museum'.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Bugger, crashed

Thank's Everyone :D ,

Nice example Papa :cool: , thank you for bringing it to us mate ;) .

That's a damn shame she was crashed :( , looked real nice in the 70's :)

Member for

19 years 10 months

if you can find it Matchbox did a model tiger moth in 1/32nd scale and one of the options was to build G-AIVW, (the others were a standard RAF tiger and a Canadian one with canopy and the option of ski's. its a very nice looking model when built too.

Greg

Member for

20 years 9 months

Over the years I think a large number of Moths/Tiger moths have spent at least some of their life on floats. I know the Queen Bee was operated on floats as a taget for the RN. Mind you, having said that, if it flies the RN seem to regard it as a legitimate target to go by the reports of WWII RAF pilots who were fired upon by them

Member for

19 years 9 months

Moth's on float's

Interesting stuff everyone! :) .

That model sound's pretty cool Landyman(Greg) ;) .

Heard the same thing Mike, from an old Oz mate, that flew with RAF Coastal Command.

He was alway's getting shot at by the R.N., one time he said they spotted a Sub, near a convoy, Bob Flashed signaled to a R.N. Destroyer below about it.

And Bob flashed should they engage it :) , Reply came back... Flash flash flash.

PEESS OFF, IT'S OUR's :mad: .

Was so nice how the different Force's got on :rolleyes: , Bob said the Navy boy's would nearly alway's give you at least 2 salvo's ;) , friendly's or not :rolleyes: .

Member for

20 years 9 months

Interesting stuff everyone! :) .

That model sound's pretty cool Landyman(Greg) ;) .

Heard the same thing Mike, from an old Oz mate, that flew with RAF Coastal Command.

He was alway's getting shot at by the R.N., one time he said they spotted a Sub, near a convoy, Bob Flashed signaled to a R.N. Destroyer below about it.

And Bob flashed should they engage it :) , Reply came back... Flash flash flash.

PEESS OFF, IT'S OUR's :mad: .

Was so nice how the different Force's got on :rolleyes: , Bob said the Navy boy's would nearly alway's give you at least 2 salvo's ;) , friendly's or not :rolleyes: .

They still don't and they don't always get on within the same service as you will notice if you read Sharkey's War by Cdr Sharkey Ward RN about the Falklands conflict.

Member for

24 years 4 months

Not a Tiger I know, but I thought you might like to see another nice seaplane.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Thank's mister Bond.

Look's to me to be a.

AVRO 536, a con of the 504.

Early post-war pleasure flying job maybe.

The first Con flew at Hamble in April 1919, that look's like the only float one done.

25 in all built, 10 at Hamble, 12 at Manchester, and 3 at Croydon, where Surrey Flying Service's, under took assembly.

Type withdrawn finally1930.

Member for

24 years 4 months

Yes indeed, taken during joy-riding trips off a beach in the Isle of Wight during the summer of 1919.

Member for

20 years 2 months

Here's G-ERDS at the Sun'N'Fun Splash-In in 2003

Tony Andrews

Attachments

Member for

19 years 9 months

Very Nice Tony!!!!.

Thank you so much for bringing it to us Mate!

Doe's seem the Moth's look just as nice, and at home on float's as well!!!.

If anyone else on the planet has anymore picture's of Tiger Moth's on float's, New or old, please go right ahead and post them here!

Member for

17 years

Tiger Moth on floats

Hi I hope i can attach this picture of me in G-AIVW 9th September 1978

I still fly but an L4 Cub . Sea tiger was at a gravel pit in Kent.

[ATTACH]171279[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]171280[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

20 years 2 months

G-AOBX was operated by Leisure Sport on floats in 1977, to accompany the S5 replica, and the reproduction WW1 fleet. It wore military colours, but is now in a civi yellow scheme, and has been on wheels for many years.

That looks like the gravel pit alongside the road from Lydd to Camber.

I used to watch you!

Here are some more of India Victor Whisky.

Member for

20 years 7 months

T7187/ G-AOBX at Thorpe Water Park in 1975

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/Cestrian/AAEGTHORPEG-AOBXDH82A1975a.jpg

Member for

20 years 2 months

Nice photo !-very atmospheric.

Sorry, I couldn't stop myself ;)

Member for

20 years

Tiger Floats.

Here in Hobart,Tasmania many years ago there was a Tiger Moth opperating with floats. It belonged to a local petrol station owner Vern Reid. To the best of my memory it had the center section between the cockpits removed, and a canopy off a CAC Wackett, (sliding hood) fitted, along with the seating placed off center so a third seat could be in place of the center section. 1967 local large bushfires saw the demise of that aircraft, as it was housed in a shed on the shoreline. Sorry but I do not have any photos of the aircraft. Just as an aside to the number of people in a tiger, there is a photo at the local aero club, again center section removed (Maintaince) and five(5) people cramed in!

Member for

15 years 2 months

Hello 1946. May be a Thruxton Jackaroo, a Canadian Tiger Moth conversion with enclosed cockpit and three seats, sounds very much like your bird. We all know how fond our Canadian friends are of putting floats on things!